tan adj : of a light yellowish-brown color
1 a browning of the skin resulting from exposure to the rays of the sun [syn: suntan, sunburn, burn]
2 a light brown [syn: topaz]
3 ratio of the opposite to the adjacent side of a right-angled triangle [syn: tangent]
1 treat skins and hides with tannic acid so as to convert them into leather
- a yellowish-brown colour.
- tan colour:
- a darkening of the skin
resulting from exposure to the sun.
- She still has a tan from her vacation in Mexico.
- the bark of an oak or other tree from which tannic acid is obtained.
- , The second cardinal number two, formerly used in Celtic areas, especially Cumbria and parts of Yorkshire, for counting sheep, and stitches in knitting.
darkening of skin
bark of tree
- Finnish: parkki
- (colour) of a yellowish-brown.
- Mine is the white car parked next to the tan pickup truck.
- having dark skin as a result of exposure to the sun.
- You’re looking very tan this week.
Usage notesEnglish transcriptions of Chinese speech often fail to distinguish between the critical tonal differences employed in the Chinese language, using words such as this one without the appropriate indication of tone.
Usage notesTriggers the soft mutation on any noun following.
Tan can mean several things:
- Sun tanning, the darkening of skin in response to ultraviolet light
- Tanning, the process of making leather from hides
- Tan (or Tanfana, Tamfana), ancient European goddess
- Tan (color), the color
- Tan (surname) (譚), a Chinese surname - see for examples
- Tan, or Dān (聃), is the posthumous name of Lao Zi (Lao Tzu)
- TAN Books & Publishers, a Catholic publishing company
- OS-tan, an Internet phenomenon on Futaba Channel
- Tahn, a yoghurt-based drink from the Middle East
- Tan (state), ancient Chinese kingdom situated in eastern Shandong Province.
- Tan, Irish slang for an English person, deriving from The Black and 'Tans'
- O-Qua Tangin Wann, Biaviian co-author of the book "The Coming of Tan" (Historicity Productions)
"TAN" or "tan" may also be a three-letter abbreviation for:
- Tanzania, the country
- Total Acid Number, the measure of a lubricant's or crude oil's acidity
- Transaction authentication number in electronic banking
- Taunton Municipal Airport (IATA airport code), in Taunton, Massachusetts
- Thunderbirds Are Now!, a Detroit-based neo-post-punk band
- The Anime Network, an all-anime channel
- Tangent, a mathematical trigonometric function tan(x)
tan in German: TAN
tan in Esperanto: TAN
tan in French: TAN
tan in Italian: TAN
tan in Dutch: Tan
tan in Japanese: タン
arrange, beige, bronze, brown, brownish, brownish-yellow, brunet, burn, chocolate, cinnamon, clear for action, clear the decks, cocoa, cocoa-brown, coffee, coffee-brown, cure, deploy, drab, dress, dress down, dun, dun-brown, dun-drab, ecru, embrown, fawn, fawn-colored, fix, fix up, flax, fuscous, get ready, give a dressing-down, grege, hazel, hide, infuscate, khaki, larrup, lather, leather, lick, lurid, make arrangements, make preparations, make ready, marshal, mobilize, nut-brown, olive-brown, olive-drab, paddle, plan, prearrange, prep, prepare, pretreat, process, provide, put in shape, ready, ready up, rust, seal, seal-brown, sepia, settle preliminaries, snuff-colored, sorrel, sunburn, suntan, taupe, tawny, toast, toast-brown, treat, trim, try out, umber, umber-colored, wallop, walnut, walnut-brown, welt, whale, yellowish-brown